Sunday, November 18, 2007

When You Got Nothing, Talk to the Kid

I'm laying with Mr. 5 tonight trying to get him to fall asleep. We're chatting about our day, and so goes the conversation.

Me: What one thing do you think you're going to ask Santa for Christmas?
Mr. 5: I don't know. Maybe a car. You know a big one.
Me: The kind with a remote or one you push with your hands?
Mr. 5: The kind that goes on it's own. You know.
Me: ??
Mr. 5: Like the kind our friend has, that you can ride in.
Me: Oh does she drive it?
Mr. 5: Not anymore it broke.
Me: We don't have room for one of those.

Changing the subject...

Me: You know there are some kids who don't get gifts from their parents on Christmas?
Mr. 5: Why?
Me: Their parents don't have money to buy them.
Mr. 5: holds up his hands and begins spreading some of his fingers apart
Me: I was thinking we might buy some presents for those kids, you know so they can have presents too on Christmas.
Mr. 5: nodding to his hands Do these look like chameleon hands to you?
Me: Were you even listening to me? I'm trying to talk to you about something.
Mr. 5: Yeah, yeah. Kids don't get Christmas presents.
Me: Yes. I think we should buy presents for them.
Mr. 5: I heard you, but now it's time for me to talk. Don't you think these look like chameleon hands?

Trying another approach...

Me: What do you think we should get Daddy for Christmas?
Mr. 5: I don't know.
Me: What do you think he'd like?
Mr. 5: Something boring. You guys always get boring presents.
Mr. 5: Can you make chameleon hands?

I tried...

15 Deserve Mamma's Love:

Whit said...

Well, can you?

Anonymous said...

I am totally laughing out loud because a/ I know Mr. 5 and can imagine the conversation unfolding and b/ I have my own Ms. 5 who has just about that attention span! Beautiful. I'm also curious about your chameleon hands abilities....

Pendullum said...

Well... Along with the chameleon hands,can you make chameleon toes????

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I think I have had this same conversation with Junior Mayhem...usually leads to me needing a drink! :)

Anonymous said...

that was effing hilarious! thanks!

Anonymous said...

I came here from Kim's blog. Excellent. Love the part about not having room for a big car that's broken. Genius. Besides, I don't think Santa can fit it down a chimney....although he does manage to get bicycles down there from time to time :/

Anonymous said...

Too funny and so true. I had a conversation similar to yours with my son. I thought he was listening until he asked me if Batman and Superman got in a fight who do I think would win.

Lawyer Mama said...

That's hilarious! But more importantly, CAN you make chameleon hands?

BOSSY said...

Those conversations are disappearing from Bossy's house. A definite Yay/Boo.

Steve said...

He's hysterical.

Unknown said...

What in the world is chameleon hands and how do you make them? I must know.

Anonymous said...

I tried it. Mine look like chameleon hands too.

Unknown said...

Hey, if you can make chameleon hands, let me know, because I think that's be awesome. To have chameleon hands. Cool.

Paige Jennifer said...

I'm totally pulling the 'chameleon hands' thing in my business meeting tomorrow. What? You don't like the fact that your health insurance plan is going up 33% in January? Do these look like chameleon hands?

Yeah, perfect.

Maureen said...

Sounds like he's more chameleon than just hands... he's a master at changing the topic too.

So funny!