Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Count Down to NOLA Begins...

Did I mention I was going to New Orleans this week? I did? Oh sorry. Don't mean to rub it in.

I'M JUST SO DARNED EXCITED!!!

I went to school in New Orleans. While I was there I fell in love with the city. I used to go back fairly regularly (helps that I was dating someone who lived there), but since getting married and having kids my trips have been limited and always for work.

Like the rest of America, I was devasted by the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I have friends who still live there and I worried about them, listened to their stories and of course followed it all in the news. A part of me that was a little afraid to go back, but I know the soul of the city I adore could never be destroyed.

There are no words to describe what it is about New Orleans. I just think you have to experience it for yourself. And not just the French Quarter. New Orleans is so much more than that. It's the people, it's the food, it's the architecture, it's the food, it's the way of life, it's the food, it's the scenery, it's the food, it's the history. It's all so different from the rest of the country--so uniquely New Orleans. Oh and did I mention the good food? If I were to call any of my college friends right now to brag about my trip the first question they would ask is, "where are you eating?".

We have reservations Thursday night at Commander's Palace. I think we're going to try to get into Galatoire's and I definitely want to hit Mother's. Other than that, we're winging it, which is easy to do since it's hard to have a bad meal in the city.

The folks get here tomorrow for their long weekend with the grandbabies. I'm a little concerned about how exhausted they're going to be after chasing three boys around for five days, but they survived their five children (by the skin of their teeth) so I think they'll be fine. The boys can't wait for them to arrive. Their joy only slightly diminished by the fact that Winston, my dog-brother, won't be along on this trip. Mr. 4 loves him so much he has a framed picture of him on the nightstand next to his bed.

In just forty-eight hours, Shakey on I will be sipping drinks and strolling the Quarter with nobody to get to bed but each other.

Crap, I better drag myself away from the computer and finish cleaning. It's the game I play with myself every time my parents come. Like they don't know what a slob I am when they're not here. Ha!!

17 Deserve Mamma's Love:

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

Sigh of relief. I had heard that Galatoire's closed.

Have a cup of coffee and wax poetic in Kahldi's for me. If they are still there.

Did you know of a band called Peabody when you were at Tulane?

Kevin Charnas said...

Will LOVES New Orleans. And of course, we were mortified by the lack of support during Katrina...It was fucking ridiculous...

Anyway, I've never been and want to badly. I'm envious, so I'll have to live vicariously for now.

Hope you have a great time! And safe travels.

Anonymous said...

I've never been down there. Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Haven't been. Want to. Fancy gettin Cajun some day. Have a great time

Anonymous said...

Man, That's awesome...I have always wanted to go there...Take pictures for me.

OhTheJoys said...

Have a great time!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I am beyond jealous! I love New Orleans. I love the food, I love the sights, I love the smell... Scratch that last one. :)

Have a great time! Eat some gumbo for me.

Unknown said...

You have fun. Eat some beignets for me.

karrie said...

And some oysters for me! Lots and lots of oysters!

Wendy a bloggy friend of mine is in New Orleans. She keeps tempting me with posts and comments about the wonderful food.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Have Fun!

Wendy said...

Man, why did ya'll have to mention Kaldi's(never knew how to spell it). It has been gone long before the hurricane. It was turned into a tourist info place. Not sure what it is, now. That place was great, not to mention gave all the pierced and tatooed people a place to work.

Have fun. Dont be tempted by those tours to see the destroyed areas. It will just turn your stomach. Stay where it is still good and keep the happy memories going.

Lassiez bon temps roulez.(Had to say it.)

And Karrie, you just made my day.

Chris Cactus said...

Awesome. Have a great time. I spent some quality time in NOLA when I lived in Texas. Great place.

Lainey-Paney said...

Go Green Wave!
I was at Tulane for the 1st 2 years of undergrad...
'96-'98.
I haven't thought about "The Boot" in sooooo long!

I still MISS N.O.!

You know what I miss the most?
1) Camellia Grill (OMG! I miss that greasy food!)
2) beignets.
(although my hubby tries to make them for me...)

Queen of the Mayhem said...

You better be drinking a Hurricane at the Piano Bar in Pat O's right now....OR I will lose ALL respect for you! :)

Mr. B's is awesome food too! If you find yourself near the Royal Sinesta Hotel....you simply MUST drink a milk punch...YUM!

mamatulip said...

One of my best friends has been to New Orleans several times, to visit a good friend of hers down there. She loves it, and every time she comes home and tells me about it, I want to go. Such history, such culture, and now, such perseverance. Have a great time!!

Kristin said...

I cannot tell you how much I love New Orleans... we were there pre-Katrina and fell in love with the city... we are thinking about maybe buying a little something down there, but that is probably just an excuse for another trip!

Pendullum said...

New Orleans certainly pulled at my heart strings, I could not watch,I sent money but could not look...
It just had me sobbing and bein so far away and not being able to help made me feel desperate...
So much has changed...
But the soul,the soul is still there...
Have a wonderful wonderful time in the city you love...
And come back with stories,comeback with many many stories...