Saturday, November 04, 2006

Delayed Gratification

Day Four
Mood: Relaxed/Sore

I love spring flowers. I can almost smell the scent of suntan lotion as soon as the bulbs start peaking up through the dirt.

Now that I'm a homeowner (okay I've been a homeowner for a while but in comparison to the length of my life it hasn't been that long) I feel the need to fill my gardens with daffodils, tulips and irises. And every year when they bloom I'm left with the feeling that I still haven't planted quite enough. So today I made the trek to Costco to buy bulbs (at noon on a Saturday no less--what kind of masochist am I? Well, there are all the free samples).

At first I thought I may have waited too late to find them. But lo and behold there they were. Bags of 50 bulbs for $11.99 each! Score! I left with three.

Well it was all a great plan in my head until I realized that it meant I had to plant 150 bulbs (actually 180 since I already had a bag of 30 taunting me in the car port)! And for some reason, it never occured to me to do this math until I arrived home. Yeah, I never was a mathlete.

It's November 4th as you know, so I don't have a whole lot of time to get these "bolts" (as Mr. 4 calls them) planted. So out in the yard I went this afternoon armed with an "as seen on TV" bulb-hole drill bit lent to me by my neighbor and the desire to plant my bulbs.

These things always work as well as they promise on tv.


The first 50 went in quickly--or so I thought--until I looked in the bag and realized that there were two packages in each bag. UGH! Of course with the "help" I received from Mr. 10 and Mr. 4 the job went even more quickly--yeah right.

I finally convinced Mr. 10 that I was not going to let him use the drill--like I'm sharing the power tools--and Mr. 4 departed soon after I took back control of the shovel, so the process sped up a bit. But I didn't beat the dark. One hundred in the ground...only 80 more to go.

So much for sleeping in tomorrow morning.

PS--In searching for the image a daffodils I wanted to include on this post I realize that 180 aren't nearly going to be enough. If I could just remember from one year to the next where I planted them.

2 Deserve Mamma's Love:

testblog said...

love the blog. put your awesome blog on the official white trash mom blogroll!

Kizz said...

I live in NYC and in the fall of 2001 Holland sent the city one million daffodil bulbs or some such huge number. (Did they send any to DC, I hope so.) The parks dept. distributed the bulbs throughout their parks and, really for 2 years running, we had just blankets of them in the local park. A friend of mine had a newfoundland and a 1 year old at the time and we took some fabulous pictures of the 2 of them sitting in the grass surrounded by daffodils. Your garden is going to be gorgeous!

BTW, stopped by thanks to the NaBloPoMo randomizer.