Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I'm Breaking Up With My Orthopedist

Way back in February I broke my ankle. You may remember the photo of the cast that attracted many an eastern European cast/braces fetishist to my site (thanks for the extra bucks my friends).

A physical therapist friend of mine recommended a terrific orthopedist to treat me. I loved him immediately. As the kid of a doc, I'm often hard to please when it comes to medical care, but he was personable and thorough and even cleaned my foot himself after it had stewed in a cast for six weeks.

Granted he missed a second break and a bunch of other soft tissue damage, but none of that was apparent on the x-ray. I still loved him.

His office staff is friendly. It's easy to get in to see him and you don't have to wait long in the waiting or exam room.

A virtual medical miracle.

But yesterday the love affair died.

Yesterday, at my three month check-up, we discussed some of my lingering pain and my continued inability to wear heels.

His answer?

You probably won't ever be able to wear heels again. The area of your injury is affected every time you put your foot at that angle.

*blink* *blink*

Clearly, he doesn't know that I consider Nordstrom's Shoe Department the mothership. Clearly, he hasn't seen my closet. Clearly, he doesn't understand how wearing a great pair of shoes can make you invincible.

Clearly he's not the doctor I thought he was.

12 Deserve Mamma's Love:

Anonymous said...

oh I am SO sorry. that is baaaad news. You should totally break up with him. :S

Pgoodness said...

there HAS to be a way! Yep, definite break up time!!

Liv said...

do you need my neighbor's (the orthopedist) number? i say a cortisone injection and a pair of manolos would make you feel better.

flutter said...

and also? you know you have an in at Nordstrom, right?

amy turn sharp said...

this is terrible dude. I am sorry. I decalre it a day of heel mourning for you. I will wear ballet flats in yr honor. Ah babe!!!

K said...

Get the heck outta here! Find a new doc ASAP! GAH!

I <3 shoes too.

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

I don't think I understand. Something about not ever wearing heels again? Those words together in a sentence don't make any sense.

Anonymous said...

just get some adidas and call it a day

Paige Jennifer said...

I call dibs on those killer red pumps you wore at BlogHer '07!

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

Manager Mom said...

Ugh. I don't know what to say. My best suggestion is to try Taryn Rose shoes...she's a shoe designer that was once an orthopedist. Her shoes are beautiful, but horrifyingly expensive. Good luck!

Suburban Correspondent said...

Shocking!

Kellyology said...

That. Is. Not. Right. I suggest a 2nd opinion.