Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Lesser of Two Evils

As I left for my physical today, I stopped for a moment and wondered.

Which am I looking forward to the least--stepping on the scale or getting a
PAP smear?

The PAP? Wasn't the worst I had.

*sigh*

23 Deserve Mamma's Love:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I'd rather have the PAP.

Blog Antagonist said...

I haven't had a pap smear in years. I know. Shame on me. But that's how much I loathe them. the scale doesn't bother me. I already know I'm fat.

Lawyer Mama said...

I've been missing you too. xoxo

And I'd rather have the pap too. That's more action than I've gotten in a week!

Delora said...

When pregnant it's amazing how used to those things you can get. Once a month, then once a week, then once a day if you're unlucky! Many years postpartum, it came as a shock last visit how unused to them I had become.

I hope both parts of the physical went better than expected.

Lisa said...

Like Blog Antagonist, I haven't done one of those in a while -- gah!

As for which is worse - scale or Pap? TOUGH question.

Hope all went well.

Beth said...

For years I've been telling my doctor that her scale is off. Why doesn't she believe me??

Anonymous said...

I hate Pap schmears too. I prefer schmears on my bagels.

Mom O Matic said...

I understand. I went to the back Dr. yesterday and when the nurse asked me to step on the scale I totally started babbling about how I was on weight watchers and could just tell her. No go.

C. said...

Oooh, talk about a conundrum. Hmmmmm...I'd rather face the scale.

Paige Jennifer said...

I have a getting weighed rule. I'll stand on the scale but (a) I won't look at the number and (b) I don't want to be told the number. I only want to know if it is higher or lower than my last visit.

Ah, the games we play to remain relatively sane...

Bananas said...

Last time I went in the nurse ASKED me my weight and didn't make me get on the scale. I almost french-kissed her.

Procrastamom said...

Now you've reminded me to make an appointment...thanks, I think.

I actually refuse the scale, as my weight has nothing to do with the state of my uterus. I'm not pregnant, so they don't need to make sure I'm gaining/losing properly.

Anonymous said...

Another vote for preferring the pap... The scale and I haven't had a meeting since before the baby was born. I'm too afraid that he'll yell at me.

Stimey said...

The scale sucks. I went to the doctor today and when the nurse told me to step on the thing, I said, "But I don't wanna."

She made me do it anyway.

Anonymous said...

I'd rather the pap, too. Sad that we women have such a strong hatred of the scale!

Kristin said...

PAP - no question.

Stacey said...

The lesser of two evils. They are both evil as hell. I'm not sure there is a lesser.

I wonder if I could just opt out all together ?

Liv said...

i'm gonna go with the scale. the invasive of the other is well, ewww.

Julie Pippert said...

After a pap a month for years? Pap. Easy answer.

I'd take that over eye doctor and dentist, too.

Always good to see a post from you. :)

Scary Mommy said...

I could not agree more.

Anonymous said...

Here's what I want to know...WHY do they have to call it a Pap SMEAR?

Is that some sort of joke?

Exactly.

Where else can a woman go and get something that resembles a shoe horn that mated with egg beaters crammed into their softest netherest regions?

And who came up with the dual setting. It's like they put it in and set you up on "low" and then ratchet it up (like they're changing a tire).

I can imagine the conversations.

I know we aren't all the same, but really - WHAT EXACTLY DOES ONE NEED TO SEE if they are just...y'know, getting a "smear".

I hurt just thinking about this.

Day Dreamer said...

A pap sounds rather nice in comparison.

The last time I got pregnant, I told that cute, skinny little nurse that I didn't want to know my weight, she could keep it to herself, thankyouverymuch! Why be depressed!?

I don't know now, I don't that number will help me in any way! LOL!

Unknown said...

Definitely the scale. That was the part I always hated about being pregnant--the constant weigh ins like I was a boxer. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, how much can she have gained this week?!

The crowd goes quiet.

I always made sure to go to the bathroom first. I wore my lightest, springiest, flimsiest dresses all for that scale.

Sigh.

My new doctor doesn't even bother most of the time with the scale. I love her.