Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Rock and Roll

How many rockin' moms are there? I mean real rock stars who are also moms. I immediately think of Pat Benetar, and Shawn Colvin but no one else comes to mind. Does Joan Jett have kids? One of the thoughts I had of looking up these bios is whether or not male rock stars bother to list their children on their bios--but I digress (indeed further research shows at least Mick Jagger with a reference to his children on his website).

Anyway, I bring up the rock star mom because I'm wondering if I'm too old to be a rock star. I mean completely ignoring the fact that my voice can curdle milk, it would be cool to be a singer. I prentend to be one in the car when I'm driving by myself. On long trips to college I would belt out the soundtrack to Evita until I lost my voice. What else could one do while driving hours on straight, flat, pine tree-lined roads with no decent radio station around?!

This hitting 36 has started me thinking about things I'm getting too old to be. Which is a problem because I haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up yet. I guess if I keep holding off the decision I'll be limited by shear age constraints. The problem is that I don't feel that old. Most days I still harbor many of the same insecurities I did as a teenager--though I think I've developed a better sense of humor about most of them. What other choice do I have?

I'd love to have some driving desire to be something. I wish I was one of those folks who knew what they were going to do since their sandbox days. Me? Not so much.

For a woman of questionable faith, I certainly have developed strong faith in the concept that some day I will just get hit with an idea. Interesting irony that I will have to consider later.

0 Deserve Mamma's Love: